The 365 Day Challenge

My goal is to create something every day using something from my craft cupboard. I am a self-confessed fabric addict and just love to fossick through thrift shops and find treasures.

So here goes. Live, love, recycle and get crafting.



Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Day 22 - Pillow case plus old beach robe = funky little dude

About 2 years ago I bought this African print pillow case at my local op shop for 50 cents. A little while later I also bought a giant chenille beach robe/caftan that was quite old and worn through in a few places and sold as a dog blanket - also for 50 cents. I am still able to find parts of the robe where the chenille has life left in it. I am loving them both to bits.

The pillow case was first used to make a pair of pants for my son Aidan. He is wearing them in this picture below and the back of the pillow case was different from the front which made a lovely contrast. People often ask me where I got them when he wears them.


I love making a wide legged style for my kids because they grow so fast and when the pants become too short they also look great as 3/4 pants and long shorts. These have been worn by my son from age 1 and he still wears them now  - he'll be 3 in July. I find my kids slim down a bit during this time so the waist doesn't change much. I still had a little bit of this gorgeous pillow case left and really wanted to make another pair of pants that were similar but different for my baby boy who is now 4 1/2 months old.

Craft cupboard materials

 

- leftover pillow case scraps

- old beach robe parts

Here's what I started with......



















And the finished product. I have made these in a size one to eventually be worn by my youngest son but they're being modelled by my 2 and 3/4 year old so you can see how they can keep wearing them as they grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment