The 365 Day Challenge

My goal is to create something every day using something from my craft cupboard. I am a self-confessed fabric addict and just love to fossick through thrift shops and find treasures.

So here goes. Live, love, recycle and get crafting.



Friday, July 13, 2012

Day 116 - Sweater Pants


A few years ago one of my gorgeous (70 plus year old) neighbours at the time gave me a hand knitted sweater for my son Liam. It was a gorgeous cable knit but was basically unwearable. The shape was short and wide and the arms were outrageously long.
Because she has knitted it I didn't want to give it away, so I have held onto it for years. Today was the day for it's transformation.

I think these sweater pants turned out out absolutely adorable and I will be making something with the middle section of the jumper too. Here is a look at how to make them - so, so simple.

Here is the starting point.


First step is to cut off the arms.


Second step was to cut down the inside seems of the two arms about 10cm to create the crotch.
You can measure this using a pair of pants you already have and adding a couple of cm's to create the elastic casing later.


Then you turn one arm inside out and put the right side out arm inside the other one, matching the newly cut sections. Now sew these raw edges up and it will look like this.


The wool can be quite thick to sew so I then overlocked (serged) the top edge and then turned it over once to create an elastic casing. Then I added the elastic.

Here's the result. Just adorable. These are slightly too long so I have rolled the cuffs up. I love them.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment