The 365 Day Challenge

My goal is to create something every day using something from my craft cupboard. I am a self-confessed fabric addict and just love to fossick through thrift shops and find treasures.

So here goes. Live, love, recycle and get crafting.



Monday, July 30, 2012

Day 133 - Dinosaur snow globe.


A couple of years ago my son and I went to a snow globe workshop together and found out how easy it is to make your own snow globes.

Today I thought I'd share it with you.

First - gather your materials. Most importantly, a glass jar - one with a wide neck is best, short wide ones work well.

I have also got a hot glue gun, some sparkly bits - I didn't have any glitter today so I'm using some sparkly stars and sequins. I am also using a plastic dinosaur and tree and some green plastic fabric that I rescued from a blow-up Santa that didn't work anymore. You can use whatever you want as long as it's waterproof.


Next, create your scene.

Glue all of your pieces to the inside of the lid of the jar using your hot glue gun. I glued 2 large wooden buttons to the fabric first to create some height so that the dinosaur could be seen once the jar is turned upside down.

Put your sparkly bits in the jar.


Fill the jar as far up to the top as you can with water

Screw the lid on tightly. At this point you can then run a line of hot glue around the lid to make sure it doesn't come off. (It was hard to take a photo of this step.) 

You can stop here but I decided to also glue a circle of fabric to the bottom of the lid to make a little skirt around the bottom of the globe.



Here's another one we made for Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment