The 365 Day Challenge

My goal is to create something every day using something from my craft cupboard. I am a self-confessed fabric addict and just love to fossick through thrift shops and find treasures.

So here goes. Live, love, recycle and get crafting.



Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Day 212 - An experiment in men's shirt refashioning.


When you get woken up at 5:30 am by small people, you may as well use the morning productively. And so it was that I was doing my daily crafting at 6am while the kids ate breakfast.

Since I used this men's shirt yesterday to make a girl's dress, I thought I'd do an experiment to see if I could make pants from the leftover shirt sleeves. Then it would basically be a zero waste project. 

Here's the result. Skinny leg trousers. As usual, the model would not stay still. The length of my husband's shirt sleeves seems perfect for Mr 3 year old though. What do you think? Not sure how practical the fabric will be for the little man though, given it doesn't really stretch. Only time will tell.



I cut the crotch shape into the top section of the sleeve, with a deeper cut on one side for the bottom. I did this for both sleeves and then sewed them together, one inside the other.


Here they are sewed together and ready for an elastic casing to be added.
 Finished pants. It was certainly quick and easy. You can tell they are made out of a shirt. Do you think they are too out there?




7 comments:

  1. They are really cool pants and I love seeing men's shirt sleeves turned into trousers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, hope you haven't patented this idea to kids-stuff-use-only!? ;-) :-D
    Means, brainwaves: cranked up and running (wiiild)

    Thanks and greets,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant!!! I honestly wish I had the inventive mind that you do. Your ideas blow me away...and I think you should keep on posting even after your 365 days are up, lol!!!!

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mezzy, Elisse, Linda and Joyce. I appreciate your comments a lot. Joyce, once I finish the year I may just collapse in a heap. Can't believe I've made it this far. Lovely compliment though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them! I recently remade a old tie dye long sleeve t-shirt of mine into two little tank tops for my daughters and a pair of pants for my son.

    ReplyDelete