The 365 Day Challenge

My goal is to create something every day using something from my craft cupboard. I am a self-confessed fabric addict and just love to fossick through thrift shops and find treasures.

So here goes. Live, love, recycle and get crafting.



Sunday, October 28, 2012

Day 223 - The sewing school files - a skirt


Another beautiful day here today and the boys went out for a couple of hours this morning to milo cricket, so Juliet and I decided to do another sewing lesson.

After our big day yesterday we opted to skip baths in favour of collapsing into bed after books, so you may notice that Juliet still has remnants of face paint from yesterday's party, and a bit glob of glitter paint in her hair from our outdoor painting.

We started off with one of her favourite skirts - made for her by my sister in law.

When we had a look at this skirt we discovered that it was simply the width of the fabric (112cm fabric) cut into a strip and sewn along one side. Easy peasy!

So Juliet set about cutting out a strip - this is leftover fabric from a dress I made her when she was about 3. I love this fabric.


 Happy!
Then she chose some cotton, and this time I showed her how to insert the bobbin and she even threaded the sewing machine needle herself. First time! Sharp eyes.






Here she is sewing up the side edge.

Then I even let her use my overlocker - under close supervision.

After she had overlocked the side seam I overlocked the top and bottom edges and pinned a hem and a top elastic casing for her.







Next I showed her how to press the hem and casing so that it was easier to sew it properly. This is her first time using an iron.


She sewed the hem and the casing, and then inserted the elastic, with a little bit of help from me.




Here is her skirt. Gorgeous!


And here is the model.



All this in about an hour! Well done my gorgeous girl, I'm so impressed.
 

5 comments:

  1. Wow Juliet that is amazing great job. Love Lilybellexx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The look of concentration earlier on and then the sheer joy on Juliet's face at the end is inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks heaps Lilybelle. Love Juliet. x And yes Mezzy, she might be hooked on creating now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing skirt, well done, Juliet!!!

    I'm coming in here after reading the post about the ballerina skirt and the onesie, and think that's just as cute as it can be.

    ReplyDelete