The 365 Day Challenge

My goal is to create something every day using something from my craft cupboard. I am a self-confessed fabric addict and just love to fossick through thrift shops and find treasures.

So here goes. Live, love, recycle and get crafting.



Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Day 225 - Mellow Yellow 1960's dress


Tomorrow is a public holiday in my town - Bendigo. It's Bendigo cup day, and I'm pretty new to this town (we arrived a little over a year ago) and have never been to this event. I decided to go with some other school Mums to see what it's all about.

Arriving at school and sitting down to talk details today, I discovered it's quite big. 2 mums were getting fake tans, frocks and shoes were discussed and nails were being painted. I wear makeup about 5 times a year, still wear the same lipstick I bought for my wedding day 9.5 years ago, and am basically a take me as I come girl.

This is my shoe collection.....Birkis, Doc Martens, Thai hill tribe boots and shoes, spotty rubber boots, coloured thongs....


A slight panic descended as I remembered past events being with girlfriends and makeup being applied etc and always feeling very out of it. Then I quickly zapped myself into action to get ready for cup day in my own way.

Enter 1960's dress. Awesome colour. Also, coincidentally yellow is a fashionable colour this year. (Not that I am ever fashionable). I purchased this dress about 10 years ago at on op shop but have only worn it a handful of times because the fabric is too sheer.


I went op shopping and found this nightie (I think that's what it is). A few sizes too big. I took it in and then sewed it into the inside seems of the dress - transparency problem solved. I wanted this lace to come out the bottom of the dress too. More on that later.

Vintage buttons were sewn into the neckline to cover a little stain on the white.

The lace ended up poking out only about 2mm from the bottom so I cut if off the bottom of the nightie/slip and sewed it onto the hemline of the dress.


And this is me.

I like it! It's going to be 33 degrees tomorrow! Lots of sunburnt people me thinks.


Now to work out shoes and accessories. Don't want to be last minute or anything.....

2 comments:

  1. Clever upgrade on the dress, it looks great. Are you wearing the sandals w/the flowers on them with it?

    Hope you have a really fun day!!...but no sunburn.

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I wore both Joyce. Had a fantastic day - it was hot but we found a huge umbrella to plonk under. Wonderful people watching.

    ReplyDelete